I’ve been working on a project, when I have the time, with great excitement!
But first a little background. July 18th or 67 Minutes for Madiba is a national Community Service Day in South Africa. Nelson Mandela served 67 years of his life for the world, and its our way of extending that in his honour.
This year we celebrated with cakes and cooldrinks at 3 parties. The Farm Primary School with 50 children; our 34 Farm Workers; and 20 older folk, caretakers and tots in our farm village. As part of the celebration the children got new winter school uniforms and shoes, and the littlies got tracksuits.
One of the mums came with me to buy everything. Betty is great. We talked about the young women in the village, I have wanted to teach them to sew, knit and crochet for their children particularly, but also as a means to earn money. Betty is thrilled and says she’d be happy to be translator and co-teacher. We also talked about a preschool for the littlies in the village. She will teach if I help.
I’ve invested in a Home School Program, and stocked up on supplies. Some things will be made by the villagers. We need a playground, a veggie patch, a hen house, and certain supplies like bean bags, dolls and soft toys, blankets, curtains, aprons, etc will be made by moms as part of the Adult Learning Program. There is also a need for Adult Literacy lessons.
We have a large Hall used for Church, Gatherings, etc which will be used for both projects.
We were supposed to start this week, but I’m confined to bed!
Drat! I’m excited!
Posted with WordPress for BlackBerry.
- Nelson Mandela turns 94, South Africa celebrates – CBS News (cbsnews.com)
- LEARN: 67 Minutes (bethechangekenya.wordpress.com)
- Public service marks Mandela’s birthday – CNN (edition.cnn.com)
- Nelson Mandela’s 94th birthday celebrated in South Africa – video (guardian.co.uk)
- Nelson Mandela International Day (datadiary2012.wordpress.com)
- Six Inspiring Nelson Mandela Quotes. (elephantjournal.com)
- Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s legendary leader, is 94 today (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Happy Birthday Nelson Mandela: South Africa celebrates former president’s 94th (standard.co.uk)